system backup questions

eddiejackr 14:24 05 Dec 06

I have gleaned some answers from other threads, but further help required! I want to do a system backup - so far I've only ever backed up My Documents to CDs from time to time.

Q1: My main PC is 1.6GB; networked PC is 1.1 GB and so is my networked laptop. I assume I need an external HD, but how big will it need to be? Do I have to do full system back up for each machine individually? I have seen ref to ext hard drive with "network support" - is this what i need? I have a firewire port only on my main pc. The others are on a homeplug network thro a gateway so all have ethernet.

Q2: I have seen ref to "registry backup" - is this taken care of thro system backup and incremental backups or is it something different

Carronade 14:25 05 Dec 06

/\

rawprawn 14:30 05 Dec 06

I'm sorry I don't understand the "Sizes" of your PC's 1.6 and 1.1gb are not big enough to get XP on.
To back up your Registry go to Start/Run/type regedit then go to File/Export/choose a suitable location (EG My Documents) and save.
If you do a full backup to your external HDD that file will be saved as well. Your External HDD should be over 60gb in my opinion.

Carafaraday 14:51 05 Dec 06

bookmarked

eddiejackr 16:24 05 Dec 06

sorry - I meant 160GB and 110 GB ( I think) ..
OK re registry backup - thanks.
If - for example - a 160GB hard drive is 50% full - i.e. 80GB (I've plucked these figures from nowhere but stick with me!) how big would the full system backup be? Would it be less? I sthere a rule of thumb?

Any comment on whether I have to do full system backup of each machine? They do not each have the same OS - two are XP home and one is ME. As I mentione d only one has firewire, one has usb2 and one only has usb1.

thanks for the help

rawprawn 16:36 05 Dec 06

You need to back up each machine, I doubt that your backup will be much bigger than 15gb. Go to Start/My Computer/ right click on your C: (assuming that is your main drive) select properties and look and see how much space is used. If it is say 22gb remember that if you use a program such as Acronis (which I recomend) it will on normal compression make that about 15 or 16 gb and you can compress it more if you wish.

rawprawn 16:37 05 Dec 06

P.S. firewire and USB's have no bearing on your back up.

eddiejackr 16:48 05 Dec 06

i mentioned firewire and usb because isn't that how i connect my ext hard drive - when i get one..? Hence question about "network support" - can I backup other network pcs from my main pc?

Used space on my main pc is just under 60GB ( because of video editing at the moment). I am thinking of Acronis - seems to get a good crit in these forums. Norton Ghost was one I saw recommended as well.

rawprawn 17:04 05 Dec 06

OK, it doesn't matter how you connect the External Drive, but you are using more space than I thought you need to get a backup HD big enough to take your usage I would suggest 200gb, so that you can not only back up once but have room for incremental backups.I can't help with your Network question, I only back up one PC at a time. I think Acronis is by far the best backup system. It has saved my life many times.Last week it even got me back after formatting and reloading Windows. I simply loaded Acronis and sent it to an old backup on the slave drive.

eddiejackr 12:08 07 Dec 06

Thanks for all that - I'm nearly there. Have posted seperate thread in network forum re ethernet connection and external HD. Thanks again for your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…