System administrator problem

Andsome 16:56 30 Jun 03

Using Windows XP home. I have never set up any system administrators, and would not know how to. Sometime ago I changed my home page to Google. I am perfectly happy with that, but suddenly find that if I look in Internet options via control panel, I could no longer change this again as the box is greyed out. Further more, if I try to access Internet options from Internet explorer/Tools, I get the following message. "This operation is cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". Any ideas what I may have accidentally done, and can I now change this?

A15 17:05 30 Jun 03

Sounds like you are somehow logged into your computer under an account other than with administrator privileges. Maybe you activated the guest account somehow, which won't allow changes to the system?

Try looking under start/settings/control panel/user accounts to see what's listed.

christmascracker 17:10 30 Jun 03

This happened to me a while back and as far as I know I didn't do anything to make it happen. Had to use system restore to cure it

spikeychris 17:11 30 Jun 03

Go to start and run and type "Control userpasswords2" add your login name to the admins. If you cant still change the name run a spyware checking prog, if that fails then go to regedit and find the below key set the "NoBrowserOptions" to 0 if its on 1

HKEY_Current_User/Software/Policies/Internet Explorer/Restrictions

Set NoBrowserOptions to 0

Andsome 17:15 30 Jun 03

Many thanks all. After posting the thread I thought about system restore, and am glad to say that this solved it. Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Muzziad 13:08 01 Jul 03

would that also solve my problem in a thread posted yesterday? i would try it but am away from home for a few days and don't have access to my system.

click here

if not, any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…