System 32\ /hal.dll is missing or corrupt

Never again 08:04 03 Jun 09

Hi

My friend has a dell inspiron 6400 running windows xp media version.

He inadvertantly turned off the power button while windows was running and now his laptop won't boot into windows.

We have the error message Windows coud not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root>\system32\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file.

I've researched a few threads on the forum and they all seem to require use of a windows cd, which he has never had as it was installed directly onto his hard drive by dell. He is sure that he has not got a cd at home.

I have tried booting into last known god configuration and safe mode but nothing works and I just get back to the above error mesage.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

VoG II 08:59 03 Jun 09

One possibility: click here and scroll down to the entry by Shaun Gray.

Never again 09:19 03 Jun 09

I don't have the hardware to connect his laptop drive to another pc, and would prefer not to have to buy it if possible.

Wold it be possible to use another windows cd from XP home or professional to try one of the other solutions?

VoG II 09:50 03 Jun 09

I think you'll need an XP Media version CD.

Never again 09:59 03 Jun 09

Do you think that it might be worth him emailing Dell with his details and asking them for a copy of the os?

He has his windows media centre 2005 sticker on the base of his laptop with his serial number

He has only just finished paying for it and I also beleive that its just gone out of warranty.

VoG II 10:08 03 Jun 09

Possibly worth contacting Dell but if my memory serves me right I don't think Dell ever issue Windows disks. I could well be wrong though...

Never again 11:03 03 Jun 09

I've also had a nose about on the dell support site and forum and found out the following;

The system is out of warranty according to its service tag.

I can boot into dell diagnostics by pressing f12 and this gives me a boot option as well.

I have followed a lonk to download hal.dll on my laptop which is saved as a zip file, which I gather is best unzipped into windows\system32 folder to overwright the corrupted hal.dll, although I don't know how to do this.

but.. if the above is the case then surely the hal.dll file from any xp cd will probaly do as the download was not os specific

- does anyone know for sure if it is or where to get one from for windowx xp media centre edition 2005?

My friend is also going to search for any cd's when he gets home tonight, but he is quite desperate to get his laptop back.

Thank you for your help so far.

Taff™ 11:15 03 Jun 09

I`m pretty certain that Dell provided an OS Disk and probably another one with Drivers and Applications with XP laptops of this era. The problem is going to be how to best advise you to restore the corrupt file. If you can find the original discs this may help you click here

Never again 19:54 03 Jun 09

My friend is adamant that he was supplied no windows cds, so I have a version of windows xp home to use.

I've changed the boot order to cd and booted from the cd into recovery console and selected r.

I now have a c:\windows prompt.

I have read a few threads from a previous post here click here but I keep getting error messages, probably because I'm not getting the spaces right.

Can anyone help me please

Never again 19:56 03 Jun 09

I've also used this one and can't get it to work either

click here

wis 20:08 03 Jun 09

command prompt copy this in
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

does that launch system restore

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…