sysconfig file corrupted

The Belarussian Mafia 16:06 26 May 07

A friend's PC was erratic at startup. When I found out they'd been switching it off using the mains button I presumed Windows had been corrupted. After many tries the PC loaded successfully.

I then tried reinstalling Windows (XP) from the recovery module installed in the PC (-the manufacturer didn't supply a Windows disk & they didn't have a recovery disk). This worked, until evrything froze with 5 mins to go. After waiting 10+ minutes I had to press reset.

Thereafter the startup process would only go as far as the sysconfig file, which it says is corrupted. (I don't know whether this is due to the original problem or because of the messed up reinstallation.)

I have a PC Advisor repair kit disk, but it doesn't seem to include the sysconfig file. The question is, can I create a recover disk from another XP PC & use it to fix the one that's in a mess?

I suppose if this doesn't work I'll have to install a new OS, (probably Vista, as there doesn't seem much point in paying for XP.)

Any help appreciated.

The Belarussian Mafia 16:51 26 May 07

I forgot to mention I now suspect the original problem was a faulty PCU, as the fan didn't fire up on some occasions.

Technotiger 16:52 26 May 07

Hi, have never done it myself, but I believe you can use another XP CD to try a repair on your friends PC. Assume you have your friends XP Key, if needed.

Technotiger 16:53 26 May 07

From your added info, I would also suspect the PSU.

beeuuem 16:56 26 May 07

Have you tried click here?

The Belarussian Mafia 17:20 26 May 07

beeuuem - thanks, but the article says it doesn't work for OEM systems.

Technotiger - I think I'll have to try this. Hopefully the XP key is on a sticker on the case.

Thanks. (I've already bought a new PSU - I just need to get the thing up & running first.)

The Belarussian Mafia 18:14 26 May 07

Can't find where to make a recovery disk in Win XP. Only reference in help files seems to be creating a disk that boots into DOS. Anyone know where this facility is hidden(!) in XP?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:33 26 May 07

click here only reason it doesn't work for OEM is usually OEM systems stored on HDD and you haven't got a CD to Boot from.

click here download the images and either burn to CD or make the floppy boot from the CD or floppy and copy the files as per the MS link to do the repair.

The Belarussian Mafia 18:43 26 May 07

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/
Do you know if it's OK to work from a rewritable DVD (which is all I've got spare) or do you have to boot from a CD?

Sorry, should have mentioned this.

Technotiger 19:24 26 May 07

DVD should do it.

Though originally I was thinking along the lines of 'try a XP Repair using an original XP CD.'

The Belarussian Mafia 16:55 20 Jun 07

Its been some time since my last post as I've only just had a chance to get back to this.

I got Windows working using my own XP disk. Unfortunately after about 10 mins the system shut down.

I have changed the PSU and now the CPU fan too. Previously the fan only worked erratically (sometimes not at all on startup,) but the new one works all the time, as expected. Problem is nothing comes up on the screen. (The screen itself is fine.) The fan and the HDD start up, but that's it.

Just noticed the HDD LED isnt flashing; the owner isn't sure whether that was working before, but I suspect it was. Is this perhaps an indication the bios isn't doing something? I've tried taking the battery out & reinstalling, but that doesn't help. (The battery is brand new.)

I'm wondering whether the motherboard is the cause of the problems. I'm just afraid to buy one & find out it wasn't that! We've already spent a fair few pounds...

I'd really appreciate knowledgeable advice at this stage, as I've tried all the standard measures.

PS The owner says they've had the blue screen of death fairly frequently since purchasing the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now