sys tray program settings

wasupp 18:38 17 Mar 04

I recently had a virus on my pc, not sure what it was called, now when i shutdown the pc, the end now or cancel box appears in the middle of the moniter. This is closing my programs in the sys tray down incorrectly, now the pc won't remember my settings and i'm having to restore them when it's booted up. How do i solve this problem.

GrahamP 20:08 17 Mar 04

The "end now or cancel box" at shutdown indicates a program still running that Windows is having trouble closing. This could be any number of things but if it happens every time and you have already closed all the programs you were running, then it's sometning running in the background. The problem is to identify it.

Try cancel then ctl-alt-dlet at this point. This will bring up the task monitor. Is there anything still running under the Applications tab? Alternatively under the Services tab, what is using CPU. If this doesn't point to anything then exit from the applications in your systray one by one (right click and choose exit or close)and try to shutdown after closing each one.

If you find the culprit then you can stop it running every time either using it's own options (right click the systray icon or start the associated application and find something like options/settings or preferences and untick open at startup or somesuch.)

Alternatively you can use MSCONFIG to inhibit processes at startup. Start,run, enter msconfig, ok, startup tab, untick them one by one and test shutdown after each)

Chances are though that you are still not virus free. Make sure your virus checker is up-to-date and rerun it. Download, update and run Adaware and Spybot as well. If it persists, try another virus checker. Many of them have a free scan on their website or a downloadable trial version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…