SyncToy

montyburns 07:45 27 Jun 06

Just started playing with this Microsoft freebie and it looks quite good!

Got a question though. I want to use it to Sync files on my work PC to a pen drive, then to files at home

Noticed that a file called "SyncToyDirectoryId.txt" has been inserted into the folders I'm copying. The text in one of them is "1279634651"

I'm wondering if this is used to keep a log of what's changing somehow, or if it's a lot less complicated than that? My worry is that if it's a three way transfer, updates might get confused?

All help appreciated!

VoG II 09:32 27 Jun 06

I have similar files with just numbers in the folders that I synchronize. I've been using SyncToy for quite a while now to synchronise folders on my laptop with 'mirrors' on a remote server, using a VPN connection. I haven't tried via a pen drive.

My strategy is to always have the latest version of folders locally and simply to back them up to the server. If the laptop fails, I could get them back, one way or another.

However, a while back somebody (sorry, can't remember who) posted that they seemed to have lost stuff whilst using SyncToy to transfer things backwards and forwards - i.e. using it in both directions. I haven't tried that but take care if you do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…