Sync & Remote Access A Laptop To Desktop At Home.

Big L 266 20:27 23 Feb 11

Hello.

My Dell 540 studio desktop runs Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.I would like to buy a Dell laptop with the same OS.

I would use the laptop to synchronise and remote access the desktop functions across my front room or up to 20 feet away in another room.

For example,I have Winamp Media Player.I would like the laptop to see what the desktop sees, and use the laptop to order the desktop to run my music.

Can it be done easily and cheaply please?

Any help and advice would be most gratefully received and thank you in advance for all your assistance.

Big L 266

Ashrich 00:28 24 Feb 11

Try the free version of LogMeIn , it allows you to have the screen of the remote PC as if it were in front of you . I believe that Team Viewer does the same .

Ashley

Big L 266 08:43 24 Feb 11

Hello.

Ashrich & l24....Thank you for your joint help.Is it possible therefore to link both computers with some kind of dongle connection rather than a cable connection please? If so,how would this work and what extra security would I need to protect the tranmissions between the two from being attacked?

Thank you for your further help.

Big L 266

mgmcc 08:57 24 Feb 11

>>> Is it possible therefore to link both computers
>>> with some kind of dongle connection rather than
>>> a cable connection please?

If both computers are connected to a router for their internet access, either by ethernet cable or "wirelessly", then they are already connected for the purpose you require.

Otherwise, you could create an "Ad Hoc" wireless network in which they connect directly (without a router), but that is less straightforward and less reliable.

Big L 266 09:19 24 Feb 11

Hello.

mgmcc....My main computer is connected by an patch6 cable into a D-Link router DSL2740R with a broadband speed of 17443kbps download and 769kbps upload. I assume its easy to configure a laptop to wirelessly work with my cabled desktop and get them to 'talk' to each other that way? Is this a reasonably accurate assumption please?

Thank you.

Big L 266

mgmcc 09:26 24 Feb 11

Connect the Laptop to the router "wirelessly" and then run the software that others have suggested for the remote access.

Big L 266 09:44 24 Feb 11

Hello.

mgmcc....Yes,indeed I can do that and certainly setting up software to work properly isn't a problem.

Thank you to all of you for your very kind help.

Big L 266

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…