symatec live update..?what is it

end 13:14 01 Feb 05

am on lappy which has never, to my knowledge, had Norton AV on it; in control panell on both lappy and tower there is a section called symantec live update; am asuming that this is related to Norton AV which I had on Tower but uninstalled and put AVG on both lappy and tower; lappy is a "second-hand" machine so no idea what was on it before I got it,. and have built up lappy programs "as I go"; (and, yes, did an archive search for this and the one thread I found led me back to the welcom screan for some reason )

clues please folks would be welcom :)

ACOLYTE 13:19 01 Feb 05

Its a part of norton AV that checks the web for updates to the software,and virus defonitions and downloads them if needed.

end 13:27 01 Feb 05

I know that Norton has been on Tower, but not, to my knowledge, on lappy; I presume that this means that the uninstallation process on both machines did not perform a "clean sweep"? and nor that my lappy was as "clean " as I was led to believe?

does AVG utilise it at all? and why is it still sitting there if Norton has supposedly been un installed from both machines:(

wiz-king 13:31 01 Feb 05

It is the updating part of Norton AV, if you transfered any progs from your tower to the laptop you might have moved that over as well- it gets everywhere. Norton AV is/was fitted as to many machines when built, it might be a leftover. Because of the nature of the program if is isn't causing you bother leave it alone, you could end up with grief - just check in 'scheduled tasks' that it is set to never update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…