Symantec security check-accurate?

dagwoood 23:52 27 Apr 04

I have changed my firewall(from Zonealarm to Kerio,sick of the true vector service stopping)and thought to test it at;

click here

I was surprised to find that it told me I had no antivirus s/w installed(I have AVG6, fully updated!)and that I was open to possible hacker attacks because it said some of my ports were shown as open. It also said I would be vulnerable to certain Trojans(again because some ports show as open).

I know the debate rages that hackers aren't interested in the home user but still surprised at being told my system may be vulnerable.

Does anyone else use this test to see if their system is secure? Should I be overly concerned?
Is this test accurate(when it's telling me that I have no antivirus s/w installed when I have)? Have any Kerio users found it ineffective as a firewall? More worryingly, am I being too paranoid?!

Any input/advice appreciated, dagwoood.

p.s. The ports it reports as open are ,

i)Universal plug n play.
ii)Unused windows services block(whatever that is).

dagwoood 23:57 27 Apr 04

It says the Location service port is open.

imjasonurnot 00:07 28 Apr 04

Kerio is a firewall so unless u have modified it default settings YOU should NOT be open to possible hacker attacks because it said some of my ports were shown as open.

a few security tests
grc click here
DSL reports click here
DSL reports click here

a few online scans panda & trend
get em at click here

hugh-265156 02:04 28 Apr 04

i do use the symantec online check every so often only to back up avg`s findings.

if it reports no av software found i wouldnt worry too much.i believe it only checks if you have symantec software installed,may be a marketing thing etc,not sure.i get this aswell.

try the grc shields up links from imjasonurnot above click here and run a scan on all service ports and set up norton to stealth or close the ports if any are reported open.

you can run a check on individual ports on this site to get some info on what may have opened them and how to close etc.

hugh-265156 02:07 28 Apr 04

ps.grc link will only check the firewall and ports.not the av.

in case my posting is confusing.

dagwoood 02:29 28 Apr 04

Thanks for the links/advice guys.

Huggy71, your original posting wasn't confusing and understood(after visiting the site after imjasonurnot's input)that this site just scans your ports and wasn't a site for virus scans. Thank you for your continued help/advice.

My original posting may have been ambiguous in that I'm not concerned with my av s/w, AVG has never let me down. I was just concerned I was not completely stealthed.

Have had a look at how kerio was configured and changed some settings. I'll run some tests again and see if that's cured the anomally.

Cheers, dagwoood.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:34 28 Apr 04

You have more chance of hitting the lotto than being hacked. I have yet to see a home computer that has been hacked. Although firewalls 'stealth' your computer all they do in reality is to hide the ports. This is fine except that you will have an open port that is connected to the net. If the open port is there it does not take a genius to realise that all the other ports are there as well;-))) There are several programmes that will pass any firewall.

There is a lot of blind hysteria about 'security'...led by Steve 'barrow boy' Gibson who seems to have made a generation paranoid. for some expert views on Steve Gibson and his Zone Alarms read.....click here there are quite a few others. Especially notable is his lack of sightings at the big security forums...ho hum.

The point is this, forget the many half-brained security scans. they are lame and tend to use tricks that are well known. If you have a decent, up to date AV your chances of getting a virus are limited. Even if you DO get a virus they are double easy to remove and will not cause any serious problems....stories of them 'eating' hard drives and plundering bank accounts are largely apocryphal.

If you fell that you need a firewall there are plenty of free ones that will be just as good as paid for ones. It is always interesting to note that the number of alerts in the free edition of ZoneAlarm decreases hugely when you buy the Pro version *cough*. get adaware and a decent registry cleaner such as CCleaner,keep uptodate with any security fixes, get Avant browser and you will be more than protected. You may get the occassional trojan but a firewall will not stop many of them ;-)), nor will it stop spam or pop-ups. There is NO NEED for any home user to pay for an AV or firewall....EVER.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:37 28 Apr 04

...just one of the tricks that so-called 'test your security' sites use. Open IE and ensure that you are connected to the net and then ...type C:\ into IE address bar.

G :-))))

dagwoood 16:01 28 Apr 04

Gandalf, thank you for your opinion. I've noticed from other threads that you are a vehement proponent of firewalls aren't required by the home user.

I haven't paid for my firewall or a/v software because other forum members have said the freeware versions are more than adequate as long as they're kept up to date. I use the google toolbar to stop popups. Also have Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster,Spybot S&D and CleanUp installed.

I'd already taken on board that firewalls aren't the be all and end all, but started the thread because the firewall I'd installed wasn't doing what it was supposed to do and needed advice to solve this.

After altering some settings(changed so some applications were denied incoming access from the internet)the online scans show all my ports are now stealthed.

Thanks to everyone helping me solve this issue.

Cheers, dagwoood.

mikeyb59 16:14 28 Apr 04

Speaking for myself I would have to agree with GANDALF <|:-)>. I have tried several personal firewalls and having performed all the "so-called" tests and getting fixed results, I have concluded that my wireless router acts as a hardware firewall.

I performed the tests with the firewall switched on AND off and got EXACTLY the same results.

I am aware however that AV IS essential but think that if I can run without a firewall then it frees up resources for other things.

I would add in closing, that if I am using my laptop away from home (on dial-up) then I do enable Zonealarm (better to be safe than sorry!)

Hope this is of some help.

dagwoood 18:57 28 Apr 04

Thanks for the input.

In all fairness, with regard to the symantec test, after I'd reconfigured my firewall, the results after I performed another scan showed I was safe and stealthed(also tested on the above shields up link and the result also changed to stealthed/safe). In saying that, the symantec scan STILL said I hadn't got any a/v protection.

Cheers, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…