Symantec and Dual Boot system

Sapins 09:51 19 Jun 03

My Dual Boot System has 98SE on partition "C" and XP on "D". I bought the CD of Norton Personal Firewall on 04/05/2002 when I only had 98SE. I installed XP on 27/09/2002 and installed NPF on that partition as well, no problems so far! On 04/05/2003 I renewed the subscription via Symantecs USA site and was given a "Key" to activate the renewal, I forgot to use this key for XP and when I remembered,(I only use XP occasionally at the moment)the "Key" date had expired. Also the expiry date on XP is now 07/10/2003! I e-mailed Symantec to explain and ask for another Key. They referred me to their Document "ID 2001121213165436 Installing NIS or NPF to a dual boot computer". This states that NPF may work but is not supported by them, I take this to mean Tech.Support as I can update it via Live Update with no problems. They then referred me to Customer Support, which I had to contact in the UK as I could not get past their US form on-line.
They have said " One unit of software is equivalent to one licence. One licence entitles
you to one installation. If you need to install it onto another PC or in another partition of the same Pc, you are required to go to your reseller and purchase another copy of the software.Every year you are asked to renew both Licences separately".
Why refer me to their document on installing to a dual boot system if you have to pay for another license?
Apart from the wrong expiry date, which puzzles me as I do not know where that came from, NPF works normally in XP.Has anyone experienced this problem with a dual boot system? I am not going to purchase a second license for the same computer, I will not use NPF on XP after 07/10/2003 until the next renewal date and then activate it on both partitions!! If that doesn't work I will look for another Firewall.
Regards,
Sapins
Maybe this should be in Consumer Watch?

temp003 10:20 19 Jun 03

Can't comment on the right or wrong of this. There are valid arguments on both sides.

If you don't mind re-downloading all the updates, you can uninstall Norton, then reinstall it, and you'll get another year of free access to Live Update. Or as you say, after Live Update expires, change to another program. The free ZoneAlarm is highly spoken of on this forum.

Sapins 10:55 19 Jun 03

Hi temp003, Thanks for your reply, I don't really want to take something without paying for it, it's just that I object to paying twice when it's on the same computer and I can only use one operating system at a time, and Symantec tell you how to install on two systems anyway.
Regards,
Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…