Symantec Antivirus 2005

Old Bowler 14:39 05 Oct 04

I decided to upgrade from Antivirus 2004 to 2005 in order to get the latest protection plus Windows Management Instrumentation which works with Security Centre introduced with Service Pack 2. To get rid of the not compatible WMI I deleted all Norton programs as per their web site.
About 10% into the installation of 2005 I got an "Installation has Failed" message. After a couple of attempts I re-installed the 2004 versions of Antivirus and Firewall. I then had to download 10 months of updates.
Checking their web site I found this problem listed.
Solution 1 was to use their online virus check - this was OK.
Solution 2 would require me to make changes to the registry and if this did not work Solution 3 would require that I go into the Hidden Files folder !
In the second half of the year 2004, is this the level of quality we should expect when we try to install a new product.
If I can ever make contact with Symantec I want a refund under their 60 day money back guarantee.

Diodorus Siculus 14:47 05 Oct 04

Get a refund and then go with one of the free options: AVG from or (my preference) avast from

Jackcoms 16:09 05 Oct 04

Old Bowler

"I decided to upgrade from Antivirus 2004 to 2005 in order to get the latest protection".

I'm still running Norton Antivirus 2002 and it still gives me the latest protection because I regularly update its virus definitions.

I don't have WMI but that's not an issue for me - I simply have my NAV set as 'Not Monitored' in Microsoft's Security Nanny.

The point I'm making is that if you regularly update, you still get protection from 'old' versions of NAV even if Symantec no longer officially support the product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…