Sygate Personal Firewall preventing networking

tingle 22:59 17 Jul 03

I've finally (thanks for all the help) got my laptop and desktop wirelessly networked in infrastructure mode. Both are able to access broadband via a wireless acces point connected to the router/model. Both computers are also able to see eachother in network neighbourhood. The problem is that if I activate the Sygate Personal Firewall, the computers can no longer see eachother. How do I set up sygate so that it allows networking?

jazzypop 23:04 17 Jul 03

Tools > Options > Network Neighbourhood, make sure the correct network interface is selected (i.e. your wireless network card, not your modem), and ensure both boxes below are ticked (allow to browse network neighbourhood, allow others to share my files and printers).

tingle 23:32 17 Jul 03

It won't let me change to the wireless interface - it just reverts back

jazzypop 23:40 17 Jul 03

Uninstall then reinstall Sygate.

tingle 23:53 17 Jul 03

still won't let me change it!

jazzypop 23:55 17 Jul 03

OK - what does it 'revert back' to?

tingle 23:57 17 Jul 03

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

jazzypop 00:01 18 Jul 03

Is this an onboard LAN connection? If so, it will explain your previous difficulties to set up a wireless network, as it will be the 'default' networking route.

Can you disable the onboard LAN port in Device Manager (right-click it and choose disable).

tingle 00:04 18 Jul 03

how do I get into device manager?

jazzypop 00:09 18 Jul 03

Right-click My Computer, choose Properties > Hardware > Device Manager, click the small '+' sign next to Network Adaptors. If you see 2 (or more) adaptors there, e.g. the Intel Pro as well as your wireless card, right-click each one and select Disable (except the wireless network adaptor, of course).

tingle 00:13 18 Jul 03

Jazzypop, you're a star. Needed to uninstall and reinstall sygate again, but it seems to have done the trick! Thanks ver much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…