Sygate Personal Firewall possible conflict??

Grambo 18:44 14 Oct 03

I am using XP with Norton Antivirus 2003. After reading previous threads I am interested in installing Sygate Personal Firewall. Would I have to disable the firewall that comes with XP and if so, how? Also how long approx would download take (I am on freeserve = 2 hour disconnect)
Thanks

canard 19:07 14 Oct 03

It's only a small download but your PC might complain if you ask it to run 2 firewalls.Is it poss to disable the XP firewall; which we are told only works one way anyway; and other readers do not seem to like it at all.

VoG II 19:11 14 Oct 03

To disable XP's firewall in Control Panel Open Network Connections. Click your Dial-up connection, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall clear the "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet" check box.

sil_ver 19:11 14 Oct 03

Sygate is about 5.3MB. Im not running XP but I think you need to open IE then click on tools/internet options/ connections, to find the switch for XP firewall. Just for interest I run Sygate and it's OK.

Belatucadrus 19:22 14 Oct 03

To disable XP firewall :-
Open Internet explorer, go to Tools, Internet options Click on the Connections tab, highlight the default account in the "Dial up and virtual private network settings" box, then click on the Settings button. A new window opens, click on the Properties button. This opens another window, click on the Advanced tab and then untick the Internet firewall tick box. OK to close.

If you're worried about the size of the download have a look at the Kerio firewall, rather smaller than Sygate click here

canard 19:42 14 Oct 03

Not long to download- about the same time as a modest sink of washing up!

Jester2K II 20:23 14 Oct 03

If you have problems with downloads cutting of use a Download manager like Fresh Download click here

ignore claims of increasing download speed (there might be a slight increase) but it allows you to a) queue downloads to run later when not surfing and b) resume any download that gets cut off (if the server supports RESUME)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…