Sygate on home network problem.

Number six 19:58 28 Mar 05

My brother has a simple home network setup, using ethernet crossover cable. Two machines - one running XP pro, cable internet, printer attached. The other is running ME. Since installing Sygate Personal Firewall (free version), the machines cannot "see" each other, and we cannot print from ME machine. We can, however, get internet access on the ME machine. I have enabled Network Neighbourhood settings in SygatePF, sharing files and printers both ways. What is wrong? Any help gratefully received. Should I turn off Windows firewall?

Mikè 20:59 28 Mar 05

Yes definitely, only have one firewall running.

Stuart Leyland 22:17 28 Mar 05

The way I get around this problem is by setting up an advanced rule in Sygate to allow incoming and outgoing traffic from the IP address of the other computer.

Works like a charm :-)

Number six 20:29 30 Mar 05

Now why didn't I think of that?! Thanks Stuart. As you said, works like a charm. Can now share files and printer, works fine. However, a curious minor problem. When clicking on "View/show all computers on your network" (something like that - can't remember exact wording) in Network Connections window, the program instantly freezes. Any idea why?

Number six 20:38 30 Mar 05

Meant to say cannot "View workgroup members" in Network Places window. Sorry! Hard day!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…