i am using Win98SE and just started using
the free sygate firewall, i know i have to
allow access to programes like outlook express
IE, and update programes, but a file called
Win32 kernel core co asks for access i
dont know what this is,should it be allowed
or blocked. thanks.

Mango Grummit 11:56 27 Jun 03

If the error message spelled kernel with an A then it probably is a trojan.

From Sygate :
"Under most cases blocking the windows kernel should not create a problem. However, in some rare instances certain Internet Service Providers (ISP) will send you an ICMP message to verify that you are online and blocking this may cause them to turn off the service. If this happens, simply enable ICMP using the Advanced Rule editor."

From PC Club Forum :
That sounds to me like you got a trojan. The kernel itself shouldn't be connecting to the internet because the trojan is diguising it as the kernel. Do a virus scan.

Run spybot search and destroy and ad-aware, then do an online virus scan. The PC Clubs thread offers a link to swatit for detecting trojans & bots. If nothing turns up, block it and forget about it. If your isp starts disconnecting you, follow the advice from sygate and allow it with your firewall. Obviously if your using a different firewall the directions will be different but it should give you some idea of what needs to be done.

The Spires 12:30 27 Jun 03

click here Scan your pc here.

fireball XL5 23:20 27 Jun 03

if i set allow ICMP in the advanced rules
do i set it for all adresses or my ISP
adresses or subnet, because there are a few
choices. what is a subnet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…