The Sygate Firewall

BigRik 15:14 13 Jul 06

Good afternoon.

Is the above firewall still a good one to use? I can only find it at click here. I'm assuming that's the latest version of it.

On doing a forum search, Kerio seems to be popular and Outpost has a few mentions as well, though Sygate seems to be a clear second favourite behind ZoneAlarm, which I currently run with their antivirus. I want to try something new in the knowledge I can always go back to ZA if I want to. I've already chosen a new antivirus.

My ZA subscription runs out in 14 days which is why I'm asking for some opinions.

Any input is received with thanks!

SB23 16:04 13 Jul 06

I have to be honest, why change if you know that it works?. I'd stick with Zonealarm. I use the free version, and its great. I had an email from ZA a while ago, and I'm considering switching to their Security Suite.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Steve

ade.h 16:46 13 Jul 06

I have only ever installed Sygate on one person's laptop, but it seemed satisfactory if you just want a basic, not-very-tweakable fit-and-forget firewall. It was never going to replace any of my favourites, even before the Symantec Corp took it over. Symantec has probably quietly dropped it by now, but I can't say that I've notice either way.

Wak 16:54 13 Jul 06

I've used the Free Sygate Firewall for the last 4 or 5 years and have never had any problems with it. It has served me very well.
It has now been taken over by McAfee and is chargeable but as it does not get updated like Anti-virus programs, does it matter?
A Free version is still available on the net and I shall continue to use it for as long as possible.
Like people say, if it works and it ain't broke, why change. That goes for both ZA and Sygate.

ade.h 17:01 13 Jul 06

No - it's definitely owned by Symantec... click here

Wak 11:56 14 Jul 06

You're quite right, Ade.h.
My brain let that error slip through.
Can you get firewalls to regulate brains????
Wak.

BigRik 15:42 14 Jul 06

I might stick with ZA but the other half wouldn't mind trying something new as she finds ZA a bit in-your-face. Like I said, I can always change back.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…