Sygate fire wall question

golfpro 12:51 28 Sep 05

After having several problems with Zonealarm over the last year, I have been looking at installing a different Fire wall to the more popular ones, and looked at the Sygate free for personal use. If anyone is using this, or has used it, I would be grateful for your views.

Nellie2 13:42 28 Sep 05

Yes I use it. I have had no problems with it and found it easy enough to configure. It does pop up messages telling you what it has blocked, but you can turn those messages off if you like.

Skeletor 13:54 28 Sep 05

Used it for a couple of years now. No problems whatsoever.

stylehurst 14:03 28 Sep 05

Be careful, I seem to recollect that Symantec have purchased Sygate. If this is so there is a strong possibility that Symantec will pinch the best bits from Sygate to incorporate into their own products and then let Sygate wither away.
Another possibility to ZA is Kerio

tenplus1 14:04 28 Sep 05

I've been using Sygate for years and never had a problem... The free version is just as secure as most of the paid firewalls out there...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 28 Sep 05

Kerio will be discontinued from DEc 31st

Use ZA until recent problems with networking so now have Kerio (see above)on one PC and sygate on another both easy to set up and run probably easier than ZA.

golfpro 16:17 28 Sep 05

Good to know, I think I will go ahead and install. If Symantec has bought it, it means that there will be no conflicts between the two (Norton AV), which is what I had with Zone alarm.

billy8 19:30 05 Oct 05

I have loaded Sygate recently and get all these Win32 messages popping up also.
I have looked in the Sygate list of applications where you can tick various item to be allowed and while some programs you would obviously want to be allowed other system stuff I am just not sure. They are all C//Windows sytem32 items.
Can anyone advise what I should tick to allow?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 05 Oct 05

start your own thread then you will be notified if someone replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…