sygate crashing my computer

newgee 16:29 08 Feb 03

can any1 help me 3 days ago i d/l sygate firewall and installed it and it was perfect it did its job no problems...then all of a sudden it just stopped working, wouldnt load up even if i clicked on it , it just wouldnt start.
So ive just been to cnet and tried to download the free version but every time it starts to install it crashes my computer and its always at the part where it says ..configuring system registry.... it just goes black and my comp shuts down and restarts, then it runs disc checkup and fixes a few things then everything loads in and it says your system has just recovered from a serious problem? please help!!

Lú-tzé 16:34 08 Feb 03

Have you tried to uninstall it?

Try a system restore to a couple of days ago when it was running ok if you use WinME or XP.

Get a registry cleaner from, for example jv16.org and run it before the next attempt to install.

What is your OS?

newgee 16:48 08 Feb 03

my os is xp is the registry cleaner complicated or anything i need to know about it????

Belatucadrus 16:55 08 Feb 03

click here for JV16 regcleaner, one of the simplest & safest regcleaners available and click here for KerioPersonnal firewall 2 an alternative firewall that I happen to prefer to Sygate.

Lú-tzé 16:57 08 Feb 03

The registry cleaner is not complex, but is dangerous if you are not careful with it.

HAving said that, it will do a good job:

From the website of jv16:
Brief Introduction

RegCleaner is the most advanced registry editor and cleaner yet it's very easy to use.

Introduction

RegCleaner is an easy to use program. With RegCleaner you can easily get rid of those old and obsolete registry entries created by software that you have destroyed ages ago. And by easily, I mean easily. You don't have to be any expert to use this program.

Key Features

- Remove file types

- Remove entries of old software

- Uninstall and remove Software from the Add/Remove list

- Remove unused DLL files
- Remove unused Shared DLLs (Automatically detected)
- Automatic backup feature

Other features

- Advanced automation. You can easily create scripts to make many tasks much easier.

- Multi-lingual user interface. All menus and tools can be easily translated to your language. The program supports all the major languages.

PS look at his front page for a consumerwatch style sobstory.

STEVE71163 19:59 08 Feb 03

Hi newgee. I remember replying to you the other day. As i said to you i have win xp,aol and sygate & Norton. I lost sygate last week but i went to its uninstall program and uninstalled and then re installed and all works fine now.

Kalitechnis 20:12 08 Feb 03

Newgee,

Forgive my impudence-I'm still with 98se- but if you're using XP, you apparently must disable its resident Firewall, else it will conflict with any other running firewall.

If you hadn't done this, sounds like the problem.

I'd uninstall Sygate, then disable resident Firewall (don't know how I'm afraid), then reinstall Sygate.

I also prefer Kerio, but Sygate is more intuitive.

Good luck,

K.

Good luck

Kalitechnis 20:12 08 Feb 03

Newgee,

Forgive my impudence-I'm still with 98se- but if you're using XP, you apparently must disable its resident Firewall, else it will conflict with any other running firewall.

If you hadn't done this, sounds like the problem.

I'd uninstall Sygate, then disable resident Firewall (don't know how I'm afraid), then reinstall Sygate.

I also prefer Kerio, but Sygate is more intuitive.

Good luck,
K.

Kalitechnis 20:15 08 Feb 03

OOPs, double submission!

K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…