SWP 2009 Help!!

Resolution 20:44 12 Dec 09

My son called me to say he is having a big problem with his PC tonight. Its running Windows XP and this evening it started flashing up that an error had been detected and offered him the chance to run SWP 2009. Since then, an icon for SWP 2009 has appeared at the bootom of his screen and it keeps flashing up that errors have been found on multiple files.

I suggested he run the Windows Malware Removal Tool, but that hasn't solved the problem.

I looked SWP 2009 up on the internet and found out that this kind of problem is typical after exposure to this software and there were some suggestions about how to get rid of it, but everytime he tries to go on line to one of the sites I have found to get rid of it, the PC says connection blocked and he can't download anything.

Apart from telling him to keep his antivirus up to date in future, can anyone suggest what to try? We've tried to do a System Restore, but cannot find how to do this?

VoG II 20:48 12 Dec 09

Possibly (if the malware has not prevented this):

Start, Run, Enter

C:\windows\system32\restore\rsrtui.exe

and click Enter to run System Restore.

VoG II 20:49 12 Dec 09

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Resolution 20:52 12 Dec 09

Thanks, VoG, that didn't work - it said refers to a location that was unavailable. Any other ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 12 Dec 09

Start - Accessories - System tools - system restore.
choose a date before the problem started.

Get someone to download Malwarebytes to a pen drive and install and run click here

if no good then manual removal instructions

Infected files associated with Swp2009.com require stopping
Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
This will open your Windows Task Manager> Process Tab.
Now click the process and stop the following processes
respectively.

osprotection.exe
OS Protection.lnk
Uninstall OS Protection.lnk

Swp2009.com register values to be deleted
Click Start menu> Run.
Type Regedit, click OK
Now move the menu on the left panel to the desired registry entry,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ OS protection
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run "OS Protection

and delete.

Resolution 21:07 12 Dec 09

Thanks, Fruitbat - can't access the system restore either using the routine suggested by VoG or the one suggested by you.

If we try to do the manual removal instructions and start with opening the WIndows Task Manager, the box only appears for a fraction of a second then disappears before we can do anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 12 Dec 09

boot to safe mode (tap f8 while booting and select safe mode from menu )and retry

Resolution 21:35 12 Dec 09

Thanks, Guys. Seems to have done the trick - any idea where this could have come from? System had macafee installed (allegedly)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…