switching xps

elbecko 01:42 24 Jun 08

hi.

when i bought this pc a little while ago it came with some software already downloaded, which surprized me.[bought it new on ebay]. my first computer btw.

it came with a version of xp pro which i thought was great at the time.

however i have discovered that this is a pirate version. one of the side-effects of having this is that i can't download microsoft updates, which is a pain.

anyway, i'm going to buy a 'real' version soon and my query is this. i imagine i will lose everything i have on my deskstop, or is there a way of transferring the stuff i have?

also i see that so many of the xps that are for sale are the oem variety, which is something i'm not really sure about.

i thought that meant it was not a full version of windows xp, or have i got that wrong? excuse my naivity on this.
should i buy a non oem version?

thanks.

MCE2K5 02:08 24 Jun 08

Read this, click here

Especially this Paragraph

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Program Information,

At the bottom, What Microsoft is doing to help you get genuine,

elbecko 02:43 24 Jun 08

thanks for that info.

i filled in all the information that was required and it turns out i could buy online a windows genuine advantage kit.

i clicked on the 'buy now' button, i was expecting a reasonable price, it turned out to be $237.00!

i'm surprized at this price because its possible to buy new versions of xp for a lot less both in the city and online.
i'll have to go down that route i think.

thanks again for that link though, i found it very interesting.

MCE2K5 03:02 24 Jun 08

What is an OEM Version of Windows? click here

MCE2K5 03:21 24 Jun 08

Read this click here

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C for System Builders - OEM click here

I presume you are in the U.S.A.

If you have a TV Card fitted inside your XPS, Why not get Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C for System Builders - OEM click here
As you can see by the name I have this on one of my PC's.

Or if your PC is Fast try Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - OEM click here

or Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - OEM click here
I have this on my Newest PC (Quad Core).

Hope all this Info Helps.

elbecko 03:50 24 Jun 08

i'm actually in australia.

i feel more inclined to buy a 'full' version of xp now.

thanks for the links too.

birdface 09:36 24 Jun 08

I don't suppose there is a sticker on your computer with the XP Keycode on it.Sometimes Microsoft get it wrong.If not your best bet is to shop around.Just Google for whatever version of Windows XP that you are looking for.It will surprise you how the prices vary.

elbecko 10:46 24 Jun 08

no, i had a look for a sticker but no joy.

i've had a quick look on ebay, there seems to be quite a few oem versions on there.

birdface 10:54 24 Jun 08

I know if I was looking for one.The first place I would try would be E-Bay.If you can find a reputable dealer it should be Ok.But some folk have had bad experiences dealing with E-bay sellers.Just a chance you take I suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…