Switching on windows updates

astra46 22:38 14 Feb 04

When i click on control panel then system i cannot find the automatic updates tab.

I want to switch on the windows updates.

I am logged on as an administrator.

Has there been a recent update?

I might have this problem as i reinstalled xp a few months ago.

ensonricky 22:47 14 Feb 04

Have you got access to Widows update in you start menu programs. You can also get access to the settings by right clicking My Computer.

astra46 22:55 14 Feb 04

When i right click on windows update, click on run as, click on user, type in my password. I get the message administrators only. I am an administrator.

Whats going on?

astra46 21:56 21 Feb 04

I am missing out on all the Windows update.

I am still getting the administrators only message, when i click on windows update, after it says checking for windows update.

What can i do, i am logged on as an administrator?

Help!!

JIM 22:31 21 Feb 04

since your reinstall of xp have you been to windows updates for the service pack or anything at all? (Blaster patch ect.)

Do you have any firewall besides the standard winxp?

Are you ok if directed to the windows registry to check or add a setting following a list.?

Sorry about the ? but it may help.

astra46 22:46 21 Feb 04

I dont think tha i have had an update since reinstall of xp.

I have zonealarm, i have tried switched it off.

JIM 22:51 21 Feb 04

unless i have read elsewhere? but will post info.

"Update,just read your reply,(other window i had open)and if you did connect for updates, make sure you have your antivirus working and download the Blaster patch etc.first turn on your firewall even if it is just winxp.

Have a look first and do a dummy run with out alteration if you feel not so confident.

Administrators Only" Error Message When You Attempt to Use the Windows Update Site

click here;EN-US;316524

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to use the Windows Update site, you may receive an error message.
You receive this message even though you are already logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Log on as an administrator or follow the instructions in the Windows Update error message to use the Run As command with an administrator account. Try to access the Windows Update Web site again. If the problem is resolved, do not continue troubleshooting.

Click Start and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and select the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
Click Add, and then type Everyone in the dialog box that appears.

Click Check Names, and then click OK.

Select Everyone in the Group or user names list.

Under Permissions for Everyone, click to select the Full Control check box in the Allow column.

Note that the Read check box in the Allow column is now also selected.

Select each user, in turn, in the Group or user names list, and then verify that no check boxes are selected in the Deny column.

Click to clear any check boxes that are selected in the Deny column.

Click the Advanced button, click to select the

Replace permission entries on all child objects check box, and then click OK.

Click YES if you are prompted for confirmation, and then click OK to close the dialog box.

Try to access the Windows Update Web site again. If the problem is resolved, do not continue troubleshooting.

From the link you would have to check out number 14/ onwards.

JIM 22:52 21 Feb 04

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316524

close space, copy paste.

JIM 23:04 21 Feb 04

if the following is enabled via the internet options,tools "ADVANCE"

"Enable third party browser extensions"

JIM 23:07 21 Feb 04

by unchecking. take out the tick and try first.

Replace if no change after. Sorry to mess you around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…