Switching users on XP problem

Sirpad 03:22 26 Dec 05

Suddenly this afternoon I could not switch from one user to another in XP unless I logged off from one user first.

When I click Start, then Logoff I get the normal choices of 'Switch User', 'Logoff' or 'Cancel'. All of a sudden 'Switch User' does not work. I can only choose 'Logoff' or 'Cancel'. The only changes made today were that one of the kids installed the SIMS2 game and that seemed to go smoothly.

Also, when I leave the PC idle, my screen saver comes on but when I move the mouse I just get the wallpaper and my icons have all disappeared. To get them back I have to do Alt, Ctrl, Del.

Any takers out there?

PC Bilbo 10:58 26 Dec 05

Did you create a restore point before installing SIMS? If so try a a system restore prior to SIMS install and see if that resolves problem.

Another possibility re first problem is click here

Sirpad 11:03 26 Dec 05

Thanks PC Bilbo....unless XP created a restore point itself I did not create one. SIMS game was installed without asking me first. Lesson learned there. How would I go back to the last system restore anyhow? Never had to do one before!

PC Bilbo 11:13 26 Dec 05

Click on Programs > Accessories > System Tools and you will see and be able to open System Restore.

Make sure you choose "Restore etc" and click next and you should see a calendar. Any dates in bold type are available restore points which you can highlight to choose and click next for more detail.

Be aware you will lose any Windows or programme updates installed after that date but you will NOT lose any email or documents.In the worst event you will still be able to do another restore back if this doesn't work.

You may well be lucky as sometimes Windows creates a restore point when installing a new programme.

Sirpad 23:34 26 Dec 05

Bingo! Thanks PC Bilbo. Just did a system restore from about an hour before SIMS had been installed so nothing was lost and all is back to normal again. Oddly enough when I re-installed game myself I didn't get the same problem. One never knows what those little fingers (the kids) get up to when they are using the PC. Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…