Switching from Speedtouch 330 to Wireless Router

lisalab1 19:50 30 Oct 07

My friend has a ADSL speedtouch 330 but want to switch to a wireless router modem for multiple use.

Do she need to contact her broadband provider? and which type of router does she need for no wireless connection on either PCs?

Please help as I have no idea

paul€ 19:53 30 Oct 07

" Do she need to contact her broadband provider? "

No

" which type of router does she need for no wireless connection on either PCs?"

just a standard ADSL modem wifi router. £40 to £60.

What provider dos she use and do you want recommendations on routers?

paul€ 19:55 30 Oct 07

" which type of router does she need for no wireless connection on either PCs? "

just a standard ADSL modem wifi router. £40 to £60. You can disable the WiFi bit. Or look for a router that is not Wifi.

Stuartli 20:01 30 Oct 07

I have the one port wired modem router which is the forerunner of this model:

click here

Both are rebadged Safecom models under the e-Buyer Extra Value logo.

Mine has been switched on permanently for more than a year and has never missed a beat.

lisalab1 20:09 30 Oct 07

She is with wanadoo anytime

Yes if you could recommend some modem routers for her.

Plus how would she and I go about setting it up as both computers are in the same room. Which type of cable connection would she need.

lisalab1 20:14 30 Oct 07

There is no wireless connection in either of the computers.

Isn't there a modem router which she can use that is a wireless/wired with ethernet cables that she can use to connect the two pcs?

Recommendation is much appreciated.....

paul€ 20:19 30 Oct 07

If all you want to do is connect two computers in the same room to the internet by wires. Just use a lan crossover cable.

If the speedtouch connects to one pc via a usb slot. Then a crossovercable could join each computer through their lan sockets.

it's cheap, a couple of quid but it requires the host computer to be connected to the internet for the slave computer to also connect.

is that any good or do you still want a router?

paul€ 20:25 30 Oct 07

click here

Windows has a wizard to help set it up.

modem routers

click here
click here

lisalab1 20:26 30 Oct 07

Hmmmm.....After discussion I think a router would be better as her electrical bill will go through the roof having two computers on at the same time plus they are far apart.

paul€ 20:34 30 Oct 07

Those two routers are not WiFi, as you state you want to connect by cable. they are cheaper than the wifi counterparts but it will not allow youn in the future to go wifi. Just be aware of that.

If you think at some time you might go wifi, then say so now and someone will suggest a different router.

If you go for either of the above routers you will need to purchase 2 lan cable to connect the router to the computers. the router will sit near the telephone jack and need a power supply. you then need to measure from the router to the computers to workout the length of the lan cable needed.

HTH

lisalab1 20:42 30 Oct 07

What is wifi anyway we need a clear definition?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant