Switching on router causes phone noise - not filter.

onthelimit1 13:18 14 Aug 14

A local has just moved broadband from a dedicated line to the house phone. The filter is plugged into the master socket. Quiet test on the phone is fine. Switch on router and, after 10 or so seconds, the phone becomes noisy (a reasonably loud hiss).

I've tried three different filters, and used a new lead from filter to (Thompson) router. I can only think that the router is causing it somehow, but fail to see how. I shall try another router next week but, in the meantime, anyone any thoughts on this odd snag?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:30 14 Aug 14

A local has just moved broadband from a dedicated line to the house phone

is the line activated yet?

Woolwell 14:33 14 Aug 14

If the line wasn't activated then surely they wouldn't get broadband. I don't think that is the issue. Several years ago I had a line for broadband and another for telephone which was a hangover from having to have separate lines for phone and dial-up. I didn't last long like that as it was expensive having 2 lines. I think that there may be a line fault and the ISP should have the line tested. Is the phone cordless by any chance? Change of wifi channel?

onthelimit1 15:39 14 Aug 14

Thanks. BB activated and working. Corded phone. Don't think there's a line fault as the BT silent line test is just that - silent. It's only when the router is connected and on that there is the problem. Same with the WiFi off.

Woolwell 15:42 14 Aug 14

Seems like a faulty router but I could be wrong.

rdave13 16:22 14 Aug 14

Does the master socket have a test socket? Try the router and phone from that. If you still hear a hissing sound on the phone in my humble opinion it could be a line fault. The test socket proves/disproves that your house wiring is ok.

onthelimit1 18:25 14 Aug 14

rdave. I don't think line fault as all is quiet until the router is switched on. I have used the test point in the master socket with same result. For now I'll assume router, and report back when I've had chance to try the spare.

wee eddie 20:57 14 Aug 14

Do you have " Microfilters " on all the sockets?

beeuuem 01:19 15 Aug 14

Are there any extension bells on the 'phone line ? A hard wired bell won't have a filter and give the symptoms you describe.

onthelimit1 08:35 15 Aug 14

Thanks - I'll check when I go back on Monday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac