switching from NTL broadband to Sky

Lynnebob 20:55 30 Nov 06

My BT phone line has been activated today and my intention was to sign up for sky broadband. I am currently using NTL broadband to support three computers on a wireless network. I have cancelled my NTL contract but they have offered me 3 months free broadband connection to enable me to compare services which I have accepted. I have read so many horror stories on the internet concerning sky I am now in 2 minds whether to proceed. What I would like advice about is:

1. Will I be able to have two broadband suppliers.(NTL said this was possible because I have more than 1 computer.)How does the Sky broadband come into the house?
2. Sky are requesting a MAC code. Do they need this because I have been on a cable broadband?
3. Does Sky support Outlook express and what other differences will I notice? Is MSN supported as the kids spent hours chatting freely on this facility.
4. What other providers should I consider - we dont download much, just mainly internet surfing, e-mail and MSN.
Many thanks

Tim1964 23:42 30 Nov 06

Will I be able to have two broadband suppliers?

Yes as you will have Sky by the phone line (ADSL) and NTL via fibreoptic cable.

Sky are requesting a MAC code. Do they need this because I have been on a cable broadband?

No as far as ADSL is concerned you are a 'new' customer,

Does Sky support Outlook express and what other differences will I notice? Is MSN supported as the kids spent hours chatting freely on this facility

Yes and Yes.

If you can get a deal with NTL it may be worth staying. With cable if you pay for a 10Mbps service that's what you'll get (or very close to it). With any ADSL service it's 'UP TO....' which could be 8 meg or 4 or 1/2 depending on the time of day, phone line condition and length.

I have seen NTL customers getting access for less than £10/month.

On a personal note, I'm been trying to join Sky BB for over a month now and my date is the 5th DEC. This is the third date I've been given and the fourth time I've given my details to sign up !?!?!?

Good luck.

birdface 23:50 30 Nov 06

Cant help you with your Sky problem, But as far as i know,Ntl are supposed to be updating speeds sometime after the new year ,At the moment they are a bit expensive compared to other broadband dealers, But with higher speeds it may be worth staying with them,Worth thinking about,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…