Switching off MS Office auto updates

xquest 17:10 16 Dec 07

I solved this with both myself and 'friend A' who didn't want the familiar sight of Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. to be re-vamped by a Microsoft update. Our computers have got auto update for Windows and no auto updates for Office.
But how did I do it ??? Friend 'B' wants to switch off MS Office auto update (a Word update having just rendered his Word for Dummies out of date) and I've just spent nearly an hour looking for the 'switch off' Microsoft update but 'leave on' Windows update. Can anyone tell me where the facility can be found - I thought it was on a Microsoft site, but perhaps it is in the 'Help & Support' centre on the computer?
Help !

recap 18:35 16 Dec 07

To turn off Auto Updates go to Control Panel - Auto Updates.

Clapton is God 18:36 16 Dec 07

Go to click here

At the left-hand side, click on 'Change settings'.

Scroll down to 'To stop using Microsoft update'.

Tick the box and click on 'Apply changes now'.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure why you'd want to turn off security updates for Office.

xquest 20:45 16 Dec 07

Thanks 'recap' and 'Clapton is God', but 'recap's' solution turns off all auto updates, not just the Office updates, and 'C is G's' links to a page where I can find no 'Change settings' facility. What I get is a Microsoft Update page that has just one live button - 'Start Now' and the following paragraph headings: 'Benefits', 'Easy and flexible', 'New features, better performance'. Presumably this is an invitation to get automatic Office updates as well as Windows updates. So I am still looking for a solution.

Clapton is God 09:44 17 Dec 07

The link I gave it to the MS update site.

Bit bemused by what you found (or did not find).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced