Switching ISP account to laptop - wireless!!!

godlovesthem 21:39 07 Jan 08

Hi, checked out some threads but none seem to answer my question...

I have an ISP account with orange broadband on a desktop PC but this PC has now stopped working at the moment as it will not turn on (another story) but anyways I bought a laptop (vista), belkin moden router and have so managed to set the two up but the problem I am having is connecting to the internet.

LAPTOP------(ok)MODEM ROUTER-----(no go)INTERNET

I think I need to somehow get the ISP settings onto the laptop but I obviously cant get them from my desktop PC. I rang orange and they gave me some server details etc but i dont know where to put them into as vista is difficult!!! I know my username and password but its useless trying to connect to the broadband if the router doesnt know what im trying to connect to...does that make sense??

If you could help that would be great thanks...

Scottiedogg 21:51 07 Jan 08

The ISP settings go on the router, not the laptop. Check your Router manual and this will tell you how to do this...

Ashrich 22:42 07 Jan 08

Connect the modem router to the phone line and adapter using the supplied phone cable , connect the PC and the WAN port on the modem/router using the supplied Ethernet cable ( plugs into the Network port on laptop ) and power up the router . Start up laptop and open your chosen browser ( IE or Firefox ect. ) and type in to the address bar ...192.168.2.1 , then press enter , they usually ship with no password set , so for now just click on " submit " from there you can enter the details that you have been given by your ISP . Any further problems you can post back here for someone to try and help you more .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:51 07 Jan 08

I said connect the PC and the WAN port , of course I should have said " the PC and port 1 " on the router using the supplied Ethernet cable .....

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…