Switching Drives, Master to Slave

10x 11:49 30 Apr 07

I am using XP Home O/S. I have just replaced my small E: drive with a much larger one. All seems OK. I would now like to make the new drive the master drive (C:) and make the current C: drive the slave drive (E:)
Do I need to install Windows XP on to the new drive first or can I simply install a copy of the whole of my current C: on to the new drive, using Acronis, then change the jumpers on each drive accordingly ?

Regards everyone

10X

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 30 Apr 07

"can I simply install a copy of the whole of my current C: on to the new drive, using Acronis, then change the jumpers on each drive accordingly?"

You may wish to partition the new drive and make a partition the same size as your old drive an install the copy to that., this will prevent you beig unable to see the extra size of the large disk.

JayDay 12:47 30 Apr 07

I achieved what you are tryi8ng to do by using software downloaded from the new HDD manufacturers website. In my case it was Seagate Disc Wizard click here.

keef66 16:46 30 Apr 07

Use Acronis; it gives you the option to resize any partitions you have on the small disk to suit the larger, new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now