Switching off the Broadband Router?

Daibus 08:20 30 Jun 05

Is it favourable to switch off the Broadband Router when then the computer is switched off or is it best to leave the Router on the whole time?

I was mainly thinking of the security issue.

Cheers.

SEASHANTY 11:54 30 Jun 05

I think of the power issues despite its only 10 watts.

Both Router and Standalone Cable Modem are both switched off with the PC. I sometimes switch on and off up to four times daily. Been doing this for three years now. Same router - same modem - no problems.

joeltr 12:02 30 Jun 05

my pc is mostly used for my hobby of photography, i can spend quite a long time working with my pics, and not use the internet for ages, its an ntl modem, so i created a desktop icon and disable the modem when not in use, sometimes when i enable it i have to reboot, but it works well, joel.

Daibus 07:50 01 Jul 05

Thank you for your replies but a small point - although you say the Router is off when the computer is off, it still has certain lights illuminated, so in spite of this, is it still off as it also seems still to be connected to the Internet?

Cheers.

maveric 07:54 01 Jul 05

If the pc is off then the hard drive is off and no virus can get in. I leave my router and modem (ntl) on all the time even when pc is off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…