Switching BB from USB to Ethernet

pj123 15:58 23 Jan 06

Since switching my NTL BB modem from a USB connection to the onboard Ethernet connection I no longer get Auto updates from AVG.

When I was on USB whenever I switched my computer on it automatically checked and downloaded any AVG updates. It now doesn't do that. I have to check manually for updates.

Do I need to change something in the AVG setup?

De Marcus™ 16:00 23 Jan 06

Could it not be down to your firewall blocking it because the connection is now on a different port?

have'nt a clue 16:03 23 Jan 06

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY WHEN TRYING TO MAKE A RECOVERY DISK ON DVDS AS INSTRUCTED THE PC TELLS ME THATY MY DVD CDS ARE NOT BLANK

De Marcus™ 16:04 23 Jan 06

Stick with your own thread have'nt a clue.

pj123 17:03 23 Jan 06

De Marcus™, good point. But Zonealarm hasn't come up with the window that usually says something about a new program etc, do I want to allow it. Can I force it?

have'nt a clue. Sorry but you won't get any answers here, particularly if you SHOUT!!!

De Marcus™ 17:11 23 Jan 06

In zonealarm, under program control > programs tab, see if you can spot it in the list, it's a long shot but worthwhile checking methinks.

Have you checked AVG incase auto update has somehow managed to turn itself off?

pj123 18:10 23 Jan 06

De Marcus™, thanks again. Checked both them out. Zonealarm doesn't have NTL listed and AVG auto update is still checked.

Not really bothered an awful lot as I can always manually update (if I remember).

Just thought it might be something to do with switching from a USB connection to an Ethernet connection.

Smiler 18:32 23 Jan 06

I think you'll find it should be "AVG Update downloader" Client that should be in the list under the program control tab and there should be ticks under the access trusted and internet columns

Smiler 18:34 23 Jan 06

Sorry the word Client shouldn't be in the paragraph.
Why can't we have an edit but available ;-(

pj123 16:03 24 Jan 06

Thanks, Smiler. giving that a try.

"Why can't we have an edit" also asked that question a long time ago, would be nice wouldn't it?

pj123 15:31 26 Jan 06

Another glitch has come to light since the switchover.

When it was on USB I could sit on the internet on any website (including this one) all day without problems. Now if I leave a site idle for more than about 10 mins when I go back to it I get a window saying something like "There is currently no connection to the Internet." If I select "Try Again" all is well???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…