Switching adaptor

  Bald Eagle 19:47 26 Mar 09

I need a switching adaptor, this is what it says on the thing I have. I would call it a plug in transformer for a Sky Gnome. The output is 9v at 1 amp. Tried Googling for a supplier with no success. Any suggestions for a supplier?

  jack 20:05 26 Mar 09

sell multi voltage adaptors.
They come with a switch that changes the voltage and a strip of different size adaptors for the various sockets,
The adaptors and the voltages on the unit are colour coded- and the various sizes connectors will only fit the appropriate voltage inlet on the device.
Polarity can be an issue - easily solved by unplugging the plug and reversing it. ASDA's cost about a fiver.

  mooly 07:20 27 Mar 09

"Switching adapter" may refer to the type of power supply.
A transformer type is "old" technology, runs hot and is inefficient. It will also only work on one mains voltage (without adjusting anything internally).
A S.M.P.S.U. (Switch mode power supply unit) achieves very high efficiency >90% is common, runs cool and will work on mains supplies from around 90 to 270 with no adjustment.

  jack 10:42 27 Mar 09

But could be a tad confusing to those good folk ther know only about the black 'Power Bricks' that sun low voltage devices-
The units I mention are of the ASMPSU type.

  Bald Eagle 09:09 28 Mar 09

Thanks for the assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5