Switch, UPS Problem?

recap 16:53 13 Apr 05

I am have problems with our network. The server is restarting its self. Now I do not think it is the server.

There is a clicking noise either coming from the Switch panel or the UPS.

This could happen 4 or 5 times an hour or, once every hour to two hours. There is no pattern to the tripping.

I have ran a full diagnostic on the server, and it passed on all devices.

The UPS seems to be working ok, as does the Switch panel as all lights are on as they should be.

Could the switch panel be faulty or, the UPS?

recap 08:46 14 Apr 05

I unplugged the server from the UPS for a couple of hours to see what would happen. Found that when the tripping happened the server was still up and running.

So by doing that I have come to the assumption that it must be the Switch Panel that's at fault.

amonra 14:49 14 Apr 05

What's the state of the back-up battery ?
Try unplugging the mains to see if the UPS takes over seamlessly. (after-hours of course). Could be the charge/discharge sensor is a bit critical. The clicking of a relay could be throwing spikes onto the system and causing errors.

ventanas 16:50 14 Apr 05

What make is the UPS, I had an APC here that started giving out clicking noises. Apparantly this was an indication that the battery was about to fail. As it was quite old I ditched it a bought a new one.

recap 08:29 15 Apr 05

Well my assumption was incorrect.

amonra & ventanas, your assumptions were correct, it is the UPS that's at fault.

ventanas, it is an APC, and is 3 years old.

Now the question is do I just replace the battery pack or buy a completely new UPS?

ventanas 09:07 15 Apr 05

I suppose it depends on the model you need. They can run into four figures. I have a two year old APC1000 which now costs about £350.00. A 5000 will set you back about £1500. I don't know how much batteries are, but if they were more than say 60% of the full cost I would replace the whole thing. These things are mainly battery anyway, and take some lifting, as you will know. The one I got rid of was at least five years old, and not really capable of doing what was required of it. The hardware it was protecting had moved on.

recap 14:18 15 Apr 05

if they were more than say 60% of the full cost I would replace the whole thing" This I totally agree with ventanas.

Ours is the 700 Smart-UPS model. I have done a quick search (Internet) and they are between £250 & £300. I think in the long run a replacement would be more cost effective.

Thanks for your replies.

ventanas 15:10 15 Apr 05

One last point. As there are six cables going to the back of our APC I was very careful to colour code both ends of all of them. Made the job of installing the new one a lot easier. Coloured tapes are still there should I ever need to move it etc.

ventanas 15:14 15 Apr 05

Sorry should have said colour coded both the cables and the sockets on the UPS and the server.

recap 15:29 15 Apr 05

Thanks ventanas, just found that out the hard way, lol. Will be colour coding when I replace this model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…