Switch instead of Hub?

Gaz W 17:40 23 May 03

I currently have an 8-port hub running on my home Windows 2000 domain, consisting of a server and 4+ workstations running 2000 or XP Pro. The problem I have is that when users log on to get their roaming profiles it tends to be slow. This is probably mainly because the hub is only 10Mbps, and the cards are 100, slowing it all down.

Should I upgrade to a 100Mpbs hub or get a switch instead? Also, if one PC has a 10Mbps card, will the whole lot only run at 10 or just the connection between that PC and the hub?

Gaz W 18:01 23 May 03

I am sharing a broadband connection through the server. I don't require a router, but would a switch still be OK with that the same as a hub?

Gaz W 22:09 23 May 03

refresh

Macro Kid - (Java script) 22:46 23 May 03

Ok, someone please correct me if im mixed up here, however i believe im right (and i do AS IT :)). A hub means all the computers are connected together so when a message is sent from one computer, it is sent to all the computers, therefore if one is 10mbps, all the messages must go out at 10mbps. However if you have a switch, then the message only goes from the computer that sent it and is then only sent out to the computer is addressed to, so if they are both 100mbps, a 100mbps connection can be created, however if one is 10, the message only goes at 10. Having a switch or hub will not affect the bb as far as i know. However make sure the server has a 100 card or it will slow down all the internet type comms.

HTH

Peter N

Macro Kid - (Java script) 22:46 23 May 03

Ok, someone please correct me if im mixed up here, however i believe im right (and i do AS IT :)). A hub means all the computers are connected together so when a message is sent from one computer, it is sent to all the computers, therefore if one is 10mbps, all the messages must go out at 10mbps. However if you have a switch, then the message only goes from the computer that sent it and is then only sent out to the computer is addressed to, so if they are both 100mbps, a 100mbps connection can be created, however if one is 10, the message only goes at 10. Having a switch or hub will not affect the bb as far as i know. However make sure the server has a 100 card or it will slow down all the internet type comms.

HTH

Peter N

Macro Kid - (Java script) 22:47 23 May 03

oops sorry for the double post

Sir Radfordin™ 22:55 23 May 03

click here it sums it up kinda nicely.

Gaz W 14:38 27 May 03

Sorry for not replying quicker, but I have had trouble getting on the PC Advisor over the weekend and was very busy,so this is the first time I've had a chance to get on here.

Thanks for your postings. Yes, the server does have a 100Mbps network card. The trouble is at the moment that my hub is only 10 and obviously either a 100Mbps hub or a 100Mbps switch will speed it up. It would appear that I will get better performance from a switch, so that's what I'll do.

I found a switch that was quite cheap, and I was wondering if it is any good. It's a D-Link 8 port switch DES-1008D 10/100MB. In the description for it on the web site (click here) it says Topology: Star. This is OK because mine is a star network, but if I wanted to plug in my old 10 hub to connect a few old machines to the network I couldn't, or is this not possible on any switch?

Another one I found, a 3COM 8 Port Switch 10/100 3C16794, didn't mention that but was slightly more expensive (around £50).

All I need to know is which of these two is the best, or should I be looking elsewhere? Also, can I plug in an 8 port hub to an 8 port switch and then plug the fast computers into the switch and extend the network using the hub to plug in slower computers? Not that I have that many machines, I just wanted to know if it's possible in theory.

Macro Kid - (Java script) 20:35 27 May 03

Plugging in the hub wont make a difference - assuming you use a x-over or the relevant cable for your hub, the hub and its attached computers will act just like a single computer. and the switch will just send on messages addressed to other computers and to those addressed to all the pcs on the hub.

You can also plug the hub into the switch to give a distributed star if my AS IT serves me correctly.

I would suggest looking at click here as they can be very cheap.

HTH

Peter Newman

Gaz W 21:41 27 May 03

Does this apply to all switches? Some 10/100Mbps switches say "dual speed", while some don't. Either this means that if one 10Mbps connection is plugged in the lot goes down, which is unlikely with a switch, or this is just another way of saying 10/100.

I found one on the web site you suggested made by U.S. Robotics. The QuickFind Code is 44820.

Macro Kid - (Java script) 21:46 27 May 03

Does what apply to all switches??

I presume its a different way of saying 10/100 as far as i know that is one advantage of a switch, that one pc can have a 100mbps while others only have 10. At least that was what worked with our one.

Yes we have a USR 4 port router which has served us well.

HTH

PN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…