Switch from CRT to LCD

Tj_El 20:21 02 Jan 07

Hi,

I don't know much about LCD monitors except that they are better in terms of display quality and eye wear than CRT.
I am therefore looking to replace my Sony Trinitron Multiscan E320 17" CRT with an LCD. Current contenders are BENQ FP92G 19" and MJ9C 19" both from Ebuyer both with DVI-D.

My question is would I have to change my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400) in order to make use of this DVI interface?

Your expert knowledge on this subject appreciated.

Regards and Happy New Year :-)

Tj_El

anskyber 20:34 02 Jan 07

This appears to suggest that you have twin VGA connectors for analogue only. most LCD's have VGA and DVI.

I operate two screens. One is connected to a VGA and the other to a DVI. The difference in quality is very small indeed.

anskyber 20:34 02 Jan 07

click here

Oops!!

jack 20:35 02 Jan 07

Monitors would come with both type of interfaces
The graphics card of course will need DVI socket
Has it?
Either way the standard will work and to be honest My Philips has both cables installed and presents a software switch on screen to flip from one to other
and I cannot tell the difference.

Tj_El 20:39 02 Jan 07

anskyber

"This appears to suggest that you have twin VGA connectors for analogue only".
No. I think maybe my post wasn't clear enough. Only one VGA connection on the card.

If however the difference in quality is not that noticeable then I think I'll stick with using VGA.

Thanks.

Tj_El 20:48 02 Jan 07

Thanks jack.

No my card has no DVI socket - just scrambled behind to take a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced