Swipe card to spreadsheet or database

Bandy 11:19 24 Oct 05

Some time ago a friend who runs a small engineering company asked me to design a time clock system for him, and for about four years now it has been working well, providing hours worked, and overtime etc., for payment. The system, based on a database also calculated the hours worked on particular jobs, hours worked for particular clients and the like.

After suggesting that in retirement I have a low boredom threshold he has suggested that a good project for me would be to either turn this original system into a swipe card entry system, or look for something different. He knows that there are commercial applications available but thought that it would be worth investigating this way if only to find out what he will actually need in the future. There was also some muttering about getting me out of my wife’s hair.

I think that’s a good idea, but unfortunately have little idea of where to start. I know the electronics of swipe cards but have little concept of the problems of linking the output of such cards to a spreadsheet or database, and that is surely a pre-requisite before going any further.

I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the general direction of where to start my investigations.

I’ve tried the obvious Google questions but obviously haven’t found the right one to ask as yet.

Access genu 13:32 24 Oct 05

try contacting the following

click here

click here

They may have some info on magnetic cards

Bandy 16:04 24 Oct 05

Thank you

I couldn't get the first link to work but the second, to DED, did.

They certainly look interesting and I will give them a call

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…