SwatIt

Mango Grummit 21:36 27 Jun 03

SwatIt free version updated today.

Mango Grummit 21:58 27 Jun 03

Absolutely Sooopah lol.

After there being no updates for 2 months the one that comes along kills the thing dead as a Dodo.

Tried to scan -- told, cannot load database file, click on update and check for updates.

Tried again with identical result. This on two computers btw.

I can see now why there was not a rush of interest to my posting. Off to ditch the little trollop now.

Bye-bye SwatIt, thanks for the passing and for the memory my love!!!

misog 22:11 27 Jun 03

See what you mean. It used to work before I updated it. As you said no updates for ages and when there are it buggers it up.

Belatucadrus 00:14 28 Jun 03

Mine works, though the first update attempt cut out before the file downloaded.

Mango Grummit 00:49 28 Jun 03

Well what a turn up for the books.

Have a look round the net and you will find that SwatIt was originally Lockwood 2000. Even now SwatIt is claimed to be "developed" by Lockwood Corp.

But the really interesting stuff comes from allegations of SwatIt writing up favourable reviews to security companys, security sites and mags. This goes as far back as 1999 see "Pseudo Psecurity Pseller" at click here

There is loads more adverse material out there about this company.

Ignoring moral and etiquette issues, the product itself when tested by some outfits who have not been influenced by SwatIt's own marketing practice does not fare very well anyway.

Surprising is is not that SwatIt is still around at all. But then again most people, including me obviously, tend to have some belief in anything that portrays itself as a good thing for us, especially in the virus and trojan area.

Live and learn? Not always!

Mango Grummit 11:06 28 Jun 03

Belatucadrus 15:04 28 Jun 03

Interesting link Mango Grummit, but Keith Little is no Fred Langa. He seems to pick arguments with everybody he deals with, so I'll reserve judgement at the moment. Besides Swatit is a freebie and since registering I have not been pushed to upgrade, nor have I seen a notable increase in spam, so I can't criticise lockdown from here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac