Swapping Hard Drives

Dazwm 10:54 20 Jul 03

I have an old computer which is just missing a harddrive. I want to get a larger harddrive for my current computer and put the smaller one in the old computer and sell it. Is this possible and is it easy to do?

powerless 10:58 20 Jul 03

What operating system will be on the old computer and what size drive are you going to be putting in it?

But in asking you that - Just try it and then you'll know.

It's easy to as i just installed a second drive on this machine.

There'll be a power plug and an IDE connector. Connect them up and screw in the hard drive.

Dazwm 11:07 20 Jul 03

Will the old computer recognise it as it will have a different motherboard and drivers etc?

powerless 11:12 20 Jul 03

Ah i see now...

As your going to be putting the drive in the old computer then its best to start from scratch and reinsatll everything. If you are doing this with Windows XP then you cannot as product activation will kick up a fuss.

But if you do not want to do this then you'll just have to chuck the drive in and see what happens.

Also as its an old computer it might not recognise large hard drives.

Diemmess 11:13 20 Jul 03

The old HD will bring its OS with it, but you may need the old Mobo drivers just to get it up and running and of course drivers for any different peripherals modem or graphic cards for instance.

daba 11:18 20 Jul 03

Make sure the BIOS is set to "Auto" for the IDE channels and it should pick it up OK.

If this isn't available in your BIOS, you'll have to manually configure the Heads, Cylinders, etc. settings. These figures should be printed on the drive itself.

Dazwm 11:20 20 Jul 03

Its a long story really this hard drive used to be in the old computer running ME and now it is in my new "upgraded" computer running XP Pro, and I want to put it back in the old one!!!

keith-236785 11:47 20 Jul 03

if you are going to put XP on your new drive then you should format the old drive and install ME back on to it.

put the old drive into your old computer, format and install ME, then you can sell it with the ME disc, no piracy problems.

then install and re-activate XP on your new drive/computer. again no piracy problems.

good luck

powerless 11:51 20 Jul 03

Then if its been in the old computer before then it'll work - But only with Windows ME.

XP's activation will prevent it being on the two computers.

powerless 11:51 20 Jul 03

doh

Dazwm 11:59 20 Jul 03

Thanks paperman27

Once I have put it back in the old one how do I format it and reinstall ME?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…