Swapping hard drives

maidenlewes 23:32 29 Jan 07

Could I take my friends hard drive and put it into my computer as the master and boot for it and access all his files without any problems?

Perhaps a strange question I know...(I don't actually want to do it), but thank you for any responses in advance!

yes but the os will find new hardware ie your cards and drives etc I would'nt recomend it. if you want to look at the drive set it to slave and boot from your own drive

rodriguez 23:47 29 Jan 07

It might boot, it might not. The difference between all the parts in your PC and all the parts in his PC means that his Windows installation will be set up for all of his components. This could cause Windows not to start (you'll get error messages, maybe even a blue screen) because your hardware will be different. However, the one time I tried it, Windows actually did try to auto-detect all the new hardware and started up in low resolution while it sorted itself out. This still isn't recommended though, because if it sets itself up for your computer, there's still no guarentee that it will set itself up properly when you put the drive back in his computer. The best thing to do, is set it as slave and plug it in alongside your drive. That way, your version of Windows will start up and detect his drive and you can then access it safely without doing any damage to his Windows installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5