Swapping hard drive on a Dell Inspiron 546 MT.

dizzymac 09:16 28 Oct 14

Hi,I have what I think is a noisy hard drive on my Dell.I read somewhere how to check if its a fan issue or a hard drive issue is to disconnect it and switch the pc on? I did this and it wasn't making this annoying noise! A friend has given me a Western Digital WD500AADS which came out of a Virgin Tivo box and I'm wondering whether I can swap these? I hope so as the noisy drive is a Seagate 200 gb so I would be getting more memory.Also I did try connecting this new drive in place of the old drive but nothing came up on my monitor? Any help would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 28 Oct 14

click here is this your machine?

thought it came with a 1TB drive.

you need to connect the new drive as well as the old one, then use something like Macrium Refect (free) to clone the old drive to the new one. then put the cloned drive in place of the old one and check it boots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…