Swap Firstname & Lastname

jaraba 22 Mar 12
Answered

I have spreadsheet which has names in one column as "Smith John" and I want to transfer them to another 2 columns with Firstname in one & lastname in the other.

Any advice on a formula to do this would be much appreciated.

I know I can do this by using text to columns but the info is pasted in from another program and I need it to be swaped automatically.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22 Mar 12
Answer

Right(text, number of characters) function returns number of character of text starting from right. Example: Right(“Blogs Fred”, 4) will return Blogs as a result

Left(Text, number of characters) function returns number of characters of text starting from left. Example: Left(“Blogs Fred”, 5) will return Fred as a result

Length on any text can be determine using LEN(text) function.Example : Len(“Blogs Fred”) will return 10 as a result.

To find position of space in the text which can be done using Find(what to find, from where) function. Example : Find(“ “, ““Blogs Fred””) will return 6.

Formula: =RIGHT(A3,LEN(A3)-FIND(" ",A3))&" "&LEFT(A3,FIND(" ",A3)-1) will reverse the two words in A3

jaraba 23 Mar 12

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Many thanks

Will mark as resolved.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message