Swap file on USB drive?

davolente 22:46 02 Feb 05

I was reading somewhere about moving the swap file around, or even “stripping” it between two drives to improve access and, therefore, performance and the thought went through my head as to whether it would be possible to run the swap file from a large USB flash drive and what performance gain, if any, would result if this worked. Assuming this is possible, how would this compare to just installing more RAM?

octal 22:50 02 Feb 05

I doubt if it would speed it up on a USB drive even if you could do it, access to these drives are slower. What operating system are you using, depending on the OS there are ways of managing the swap file to make the computer use RAM before using the swap file, therefore, speeding it up.

Gaz 25 23:03 02 Feb 05

Shove as much ram as you can in, a small 6Gb HDD, and set to load OS in ram, and set page file to a seperate HDD.

davolente 23:03 02 Feb 05

I`m using XP on an E-Machines W2646. Current drive is 40GB and RAM 256MB DDR, ( 2GB capacity with one spare slot) I intend to install another hard drive. Not sure what size, yet - probably another 40GB and some more RAM. I know you can never have too much of the stuff!

Gaz 25 23:04 02 Feb 05

does that for you by the way.

davolente 23:07 02 Feb 05

Thanks, Gaz 25. Can you elaborate a little on how to load the OS in RAM? Cheers

davolente 23:12 02 Feb 05

Gaz 25
Just found Tweak XP and I answered my own question. Thanks all. Nighty-night!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…