//some 3rd party need geo

svshost.exe virus..help please

bigfatone 16:13 29 Jun 03

I?ve just logged on to the PC after my son was using it yesterday and it seems like we may have picked a worm/virus and I can?t seem to get rid of it.

The virus is svshost.exe and it?s been placed in the Windows\System folder and can?t be deleted. I?m running Win98SE and have used Spybot, Adaware and AVG Anti-Virus with the latest update to no avail. It?s been disallowed in Zone Alarm and msconfig. I first noticed it upon boot-up when each time it brings up Dial-Up Networking to access the Internet.

Any ideas how I can safely eliminate this please.

Much Appreciated

Brian

bremner 16:25 29 Jun 03

click here to see what it is.

and

click here to delete it

Andsome 17:01 29 Jun 03

Has your son been using Kazaa? If so FORBID it

bigfatone 17:54 29 Jun 03

Thanks very much indeed for the help. The links worked a treat, bremner, and the virus is off the system. Used Regedit (backed up registry first) and took the values out which then enabled me to safely delete the svshost.exe in the Windows\System folder. This then also removed it from the start-up in msconfig.

I?m just surprised that AVG anti-virus didn?t detect it as I?d already downloaded and run with the latest update.

For the record?.I quizzed my son and he did indeed used Kazaa yesterday, so no doubt that?s where this came from. He?s been warned and hopefully this will be a lesson to others??though I very much doubt it.

Thank you once again

Brian.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…