svchost.exe - Startup Process

williamj 21:19 23 Jan 09

Using Bootvis to check start up the process svchost.exe is shown and refering to:-click here it could be a TROGAN and is not a legitimate svchost.exe process.
Anyone know how to stop this process as my P.C. is slow to start up and slow to connect to the internet.
Registry cleaners and anti virus programs do not pick up the process.

gourmand 22:46 23 Jan 09

I came across a similar problem with a pals pc an svchost process taking up all the processor power.I found this by opening the task manager and "end tasking" that svchost process. I did eventually solve it but I can't really remember how! (fat lot of help you are thinking). However it may be worth downloading and scanning with prevx CSI. It is free to use and you only pay if it finds a problem to solve. Unlike many of the AV / reg cleaner products that work on this basis and (supposedly) find hundreds of problems, it will only find problems that really exist. It has been a saviour for me a couple of times when all else failed.
Good luck.

provider 2 23:07 23 Jan 09

Some information that could be useful: click here

( Ask Leo ... What`s the deal with scvhost?)

birdface 23:07 23 Jan 09

Svchost.exe is genuine.Scvhost.exe is not.click here

birdface 23:10 23 Jan 09

Prevx is free to try.But if you want to remove anything you have to buy it.

gourmand 19:12 24 Jan 09

I did mention that buteman

williamj 11:17 25 Jan 09

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Downloaded and ran PrevzCSI and got notification of the following THREAT:-
C:\Documents & Settings\System User\Application Data\Performance Optimiser Pre_installer(1).exe.
Did not purchase Prevx yet.
Ran AVG Anti Virus and "No Threats Found"
Ran BT Tahoo Anti Spy "No Items Found"
Back to THREAT. Could not locate it in Documents & Settings. Don't know if it relates to svchost.
Haven't decided to purchase Prevx CSI yet as I do not know hw serios the THREAT is.

provider 2 11:37 25 Jan 09

I think you should download and run the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (not the upgrade which is the paid version), to see if that can identify whether you have a problem or not.

(Quarantine first, of course, in case it`s a legitimate process for a new application.)

provider 2 11:38 25 Jan 09
  provider 2 12:03 25 Jan 09

BootVis causing slow boot is a not uncommon problem, apparently ... (I don`t use it so can`t really comment):

click here (Googled)

williamj 12:53 25 Jan 09

provider 2
Tried AntiMalwarePro and it showed up 'Invalad Shortcuts' Tracking Cookies' @File Associations' but no TROGANS.
So I did not purchase. Everyone probably has their favourite System/Registry cleaner and they will show up different redundant or unnessary files.
I have Regicure and Ashampoo and they show differently, but there is a limit on what to buy.
Re Bootvis: I used it to monitor boot up time and show the number of processes in the start up.
It will also optimise startup time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…