Svchost.exe (network service) takes 99% cpu

Andknig 15:34 25 Jul 04

Hi. From what I've read about svchost.exe I know it's a genuine service (info on this link if anybody else is interested)

click here

I know that some worms have 'cloned' the process (eg W32.Welchia - removal tool showed nothing). I also know that I have read a million (well, maybe less ;) ) threads on the subject and I still am a little confused as to why this process has - all of a sudden - started chomping 99% CPU only when I start IE. I have run; Hijack This, Spybot S&D, Norton AV which did find a variant of Mostat, which was duly deleted. But I still have the problem.

If I stop svchost.exe(network service) inbetween activating my internet connection and starting IE, then everything flows smoothly. So, what I would like to know is; can I permanently stop svchost.exe (NS)? Why this has happened all of a sudden? I am running XP with all the latest updates (hmm....). Any help, advice or discussion would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks !

Stuartli 16:57 25 Jul 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…