svchost.exe locks computer loading programme disc

TCDS 22:21 18 Feb 07

Hi, I'm trying to load Flight Simulator X on and Advent 3617, running XP home, all fully up to date on patches,etc.

Putting the disc in the drive avchost.exe runs the processor at 100% constant, locking out everything else.

The only way to proceed is to crash the system and re-boot.

I have two other computer which both load the programme without any problems, although the Advent 6410 laptop is too weak to run it.

Any ideas please.

Thanks,

Bill

LastChip 22:32 18 Feb 07

I loaded exactly that program for a client today. He was actually quite worried as one of his magazines quoted all sorts of people having problems with it.

It does need a fairly hefty machines (though I can't tell you exactly what) and a lot of disc space (it used about 15GB of hard drive real estate). Do you have that amount of free space on your laptop plus some spare?

All I can tell you is, you're not alone by any means.

Maybe some searching on Google will help you determin if there is a problem with your particular machine.

TCDS 22:44 18 Feb 07

Thank Last Chip,

Machine has a AMD AthlonTM 64 3200+ processor, 2 GB of RAM, 2 160 GB hard drives with less that 50% used. It runs the previous Flight Simulator easily. This doesn't even start to show any install shield messages or anything.

In safe mode the disc starts to work but there is a runtime error stopping it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos