svchost.exe inbound

jakag 09:19 14 Aug 03

I have win2000 sp4 and is up to date, norton fire wall is giving message remote system attempting to access generic host win32 services ...... tcp inbound .......

I have always had this and genrally accepted it,
I used to get it about once an hour but it has suddenly come regular and at times 5 or 6 times a minute.

What is it for?
Should I perminantly accept or reject it?
Have I got another problem?

Regards Jak

hugh-265156 09:21 14 Aug 03
  Jester2K II 09:24 14 Aug 03

Have you installed this patch?
click here

jakag 10:04 14 Aug 03

Thanks for the quick replys
I had already tried that link jester
I will have to look at the sophos link huggy
I just had an update and I have re run all the win 2000 downloads in case they had not been run.
The problem still seems to be there.
Have to go out now will look later

jakag 16:53 14 Aug 03

checked the sites, run the stinger.
I was a bit confused by what ms site said but appear to have all the updates etc.
I installed win2000 and firewall and av about a year ago. as stated above I have always has this message come up but only about every 2-3 hrs now it is minutes or seconds.

Should it be happening? or can i put it on refuse or accept?

hugh-265156 17:01 14 Aug 03

keep your antivirus up to date and turn of the will still be protected.

jakag 20:28 18 Aug 03

Ignoring the alert would stop sone other sites from working properly if an alert was made by them so I have put it on perminent reject. everything ok so far thanks.

broggs 20:48 18 Aug 03

Same here...put it on permanent block.My norton firewall said it was low risk!!!! I let it through and it duly infected my win 2k.Good job I'm using Hyperos...I deleted the infected system and was up and running again in less than a few minutes.
Since then I've put on block everything inbound.Am I right to do this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…