svchost.exe has generated errors????

Kitz E Kat 20:12 02 Sep 03

Hi, i am working on a computer from an office running 2000 pro, while running the machine i got the msg 'svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows', the same message was on two other computers, there was a virus on both the other computers i scanned and goth rid of them.

I did a scan with a fresh install of NAV 2003 and it found nothing, i have just downloaded the updates.

Now im in a mess!! It asked to reboot to install the updates, i did now i cant get passed the login, it wont accept the password, D'oh!!

All ideas welcome, i am in a sweat!!
Kitz

krypt1c 20:19 02 Sep 03

Have a look at this thread about svchost. click here.

Kitz E Kat 20:34 02 Sep 03

thanks...
it gets worse,, i got the password thing sorted, i rebooted , the screen is about a third of the full size, norton says that the integrety of the anti virus is 'iffy'!

What a night..

I guess there is a virus in there now doin battle with NAV, now that i have the thing updated.

Its a laptop, so i cannot slave the drive .

D'oh
Kitz E

-pops- 20:42 02 Sep 03

click here

click here

click here

And loads of others.

Kitz E Kat 21:36 02 Sep 03

I scanned the drive , norton found a virus, did not say what, and that it cant fix it, great!!!

I need an up to date set of boot discs, how do i do that, i can make a set of boot disks from the CD , but that's a bit out of date...

I have looked all over the place i cannot find a 'create boot disk ' tab anywhere,,,

Help!!!
Kitz E

krypt1c 21:42 02 Sep 03

To create setup disks

Insert a blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB disk into the floppy disk drive.
Insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type d:\bootdisk\makeboot a: (where d: is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM drive), and then click OK.
Follow the screen prompts.
Important

You will need four blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB floppy disks. Label them Setup Disk One, Setup Disk Two, Setup Disk Three, and Setup Disk Four.
Note

You can create the setup disks from a computer running any version of Windows or MS-DOS.

Kitz E Kat 21:48 02 Sep 03

What i should have said, i can't create boot disk for the NAV, which like the 2000 boot disk you use the install CD for NAV , that's OK but the 2003 NAV disk is a bit old and does not contain the latest definitions,

i did a uninstall of NAV and went on the net to get the updates, MAD but , last time i did an install of NAV it did ask did want to create a boot disk, with the latest definitions, guess what , not this time.... after all that!!!!

Help
Kitz E

krypt1c 23:46 02 Sep 03

Sounds as if NAV is causing the problem. Have you tried an online virus check ? This is the panda site. click here

Kitz E Kat 20:21 03 Sep 03

Cheers for all the help, i got it!!! Damm Blaster virus,if i got my paws on the twat that unleashed that piece of junk id feed him rotten fish till it comes out his nose!!

All seems to be OK , i hope, having said that the owner had NO AV protection, another twat!!

I've had it with twats!!!!

Thanks krypt1c, for your advice, its always nice to know that there is someone out there willing to help, when your in a hole and digging hard!

Good luck
Kitz E Kat ;-)

Kitz E Kat 20:32 03 Sep 03

i forgot to mention during my epic strugle to rid the laptop of the virus, the video driver disappeared, the screen went to about one third the normal size!!!!

I got on to the DELL site this morning and downloaded the driver and all went well.

Queston is has anybody else seen this?
Cheers
Kitz E

Jomi 21:15 03 Sep 03

There also a security patch to d/l from the microsoft site to protect you from the blaster virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…