Svchost.exe cannot find dltime.dll

Madscot_uk 13:53 12 Jan 05

I am running Norton Antivirus 2005, it recently found and removed a trojan from my system (XP home) since then i am recieving an error message on startup:
Svchost.exe - unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because dltime.dll was not found.
Clicking on ok and my system runs as normal. How do i stop this error message.

rawprawn 14:00 12 Jan 05

Download ad run CCleaner from click here, that should clear any missing/orphan dll links.

Madscot_uk 14:16 12 Jan 05

Downloaded and ran the program but the error message is still present?

rawprawn 14:35 12 Jan 05

If you are on Windows XP. Try a system file scan. Go to Start / Run / Type sfc /scannow and hit enter, you will probably need your XP Disc. Watch the space between sfc and /scannow

Madscot_uk 14:49 12 Jan 05

I have the orginal windows XP disk, but the system came with SP1 pre installed and i dont have the disk for it. Is it possible to download SP1 to copy onto a cd?

rawprawn 14:52 12 Jan 05

I cannot find dltime.dll on my computer, I suspect that there are bits left over after you removed the trojan which can hide in Svchost.exe Another thought is to turn off system restore run the scan again in safe mode and reboot. There seem to be quite a number of people with the same problem stemming from Norton. Type dltime.dll into google and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

rawprawn 14:56 12 Jan 05

It doesn't matter about SP1 sfc looks at the basic system files , but yes you can download SP1 but it's a big file if you are not on broadband. If you need it and you are on dial up I will post a copy to you if you ask me to do so (Iwill email you for your address)

Madscot_uk 14:58 12 Jan 05

Cheers, but i have bband, its avaliable form the microsoft website?

rawprawn 15:02 12 Jan 05

click here but you don't need it for sfc /scannow, just your original disc.

Madscot_uk 15:10 12 Jan 05

Cheers for your help, sfc appears to have got it, also followed this click here and the msg has now gone.

rawprawn 15:12 12 Jan 05

I,m glad that fixed it click here You really ought to download and install SP2 it's much more secure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…