Svchost.exe activity

roy 17:02 01 Dec 04

I have noticed that svchost.exe (system) is active and using 100% cpu for about 4 minutes after bootup. The bootup itself also takes about 4 minutes. Maybe I simply have too many programmes installed. I realise that more information may be required so ask away.

My pc is AMD 1800+, ddram 512 Mb, Win XP Home, 2 hdd (80 and 120 Gig)

I would be interested in any comments on this.

(I use AVG daily and have run Adaware recently)

SEASHANTY 17:14 01 Dec 04

Svchost.exe click here

roy 22:36 01 Dec 04

SEASHANTY Hi!

Thanks for the shortcut. What I was really looking for is a reason for it taking so long to do its job when I switch on. I suppose the answer is in the number of processes that I have running.

SEASHANTY 23:04 01 Dec 04

That is usually the problem - all the programmes which start at bootup. There are a few startup managers listed on the snapfiles freeware page
click here but I haven't tried any of them. There is also plenty of info on windows startup programmes on
blackvipers website click here
Just put a query for this in the "Search" option.

roy 16:02 02 Dec 04

Hi SEASHANTY,

Thanks again for your input and those shortcuts.
I have put them into my Favourites and will; go through the suggestions. My first worry was that some nasty programme was trying to get on line when I started up but I don't think that that is the case. Have been having a look with Highjack This and can identify most of the contents and can probably remove some of them.

roy 16:44 14 Dec 04

Hi SEASHANTY,

if you look at this again, you may like to know that I have now cured the problem.

I ran Spybot-Search and Destroy and it found one one 'red' object recommended destroy. I did so and now am booting up in about 1 min 30 secs and no discernible svchost activity at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…