svchost.exe accessing web is it normal

inglese40 20:46 26 Aug 03

Have recently had quite a few problems with online running. Remote host stopping connection , computer closing down & restarting, etc. I have installed a firewall and block virtually all transmissions and now seem ok. At least I can use my computer on the net, but still have svchost.exe and services.exe trying to access connection sometimes to 255.255.255.255 ip. Is this mormal? My antivirus can find no problem (pccillin & norton), would appreciate any views.

Gaz 25 20:56 26 Aug 03

Yes, it is not a vaild IP so do not worry. 255.255.255.255

It is a normal action, you can blcok SVCHOST.

krypt1c 20:58 26 Aug 03

Both are windows files. See here for svchost click here and here for services click here

broggs 21:08 26 Aug 03

I kept getting an incoming request on my firewall svchost my firewall said low risk.I let it thru and it made my pc act very strange.I reinstalled and let it in again and exactly the same happened.Third time I blocked it and alright since.win 2k.
Thank god for Hyperos!!!!

inglese40 21:22 26 Aug 03

I know they are standard windows files. I now have both blocked with advanced options and can actually work online. Previously was impossible tried blocking with normal options but "something" kept changing my firewall settings from ask or block to allow.
Also still have a problem that "something" creates new remote connections. Just keep my eyes open and delete them. My system also seems better after uninstalling AOL8 and going back to AOL7.

The blue screen with 2-3 lines of code I briefly saw before my system crashed then rebooted was a little worrying too.

Also when I tried to block loading of some dlls I was disconeected by remore server?
Also found that I have to block AOL on sign up and then allow access later as blocking does not seem to work immediately after isp access.

????

Gaz 25 21:25 26 Aug 03

Sounds like the blaster worm trying to get through thats why probes to 135 svchost.exe

inglese40 21:34 26 Aug 03

Have schecked for file changes associated with blaster worm and other viruses and cannot find anything that suggests known problems.
I am running W2k only suspicious files I can detect are in winnt/sysyem32/config several of which I cannot analyses, access or scan with antivirus.
What files should be in this folder????
Also have latest updates ofr Norton and PcCillin and they detect nothing.

Ironman556 22:56 26 Aug 03

Try an online virus scan click here

Also try SpyBot click here

And AdAware click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…